Rural Enterprise Assistance Program Latino Loan Specialist
Griselda Rendon, REAP
Griselda was born in Mexico, but has found her home in Grand Island, Nebraska. She is a Latino Loan Specialist for the Rural Enterprise Assistance Program (REAP). Griselda’s background is in insurance and banking. She said working with different ethnic groups has been a great help for her current position at REAP. From meeting with clients for technical assistance to creating and packaging loans, Griselda relies on her education and experience all the time.
Her large territory covers southeast and southwest Nebraska. She mostly works with Latino small business owners. She said she expects exceptional growth with the Latino Business Center given the high number of entrepreneurs in her region.
- Tell us about your role as a leader in your community. I help entrepreneurs accomplish their goal of starting their own business in whatever they need assistance with, from registering the business to finding out what they need, and even with financing for their adventure.
- What has been your most significant professional accomplishment? Seeing businesses succeed and business owners not give up because they know that there are lots of resources for them.
- What do you do for relaxation? I like to spend time with my family.
- Describe your favorite part about the Midwest. The number of resources there are available and that there are many people who are willing to lend you a helping hand.
- If you were a superhero, what superpower would you have and why? I would like to have a superpower that would create trust in one another.
- What book do you recommend to others as a must read? “The 5 Love Languages” by Gary Chapman.
- What would your high school counselor say about you if we called? “I knew she’d be a great leader.”
- Which historical figure or iconic person would you like to spend a week with? I would like to spend a week with Michelle Obama. Whenever I hear her speak or read of what she is doing, her ability and success just amazes me.
- What are you most proud of? I am most proud of my family and professionally I am most proud of the respect and trust I have earned.
- What words do you use to describe your community? Unique.
- Explain your mantra in life and who inspired this in you: “Never give up and stand up for what you believe in.” My husband inspired this to me because I have seen how hard he works to accomplish his goals and even under stressful situations, he is always smiling.
- What is your favorite pastime or venue to visit in Central Nebraska? No specific area; being able to spend time with my family whether it is outdoors or indoors.